When I was doing my BA, back in 2002-2004, I planned out my whole three year course, subject by subject, from the subject handbook available at the start of 2002. I stuck to it exactly except for one subject that got cancelled (it was an editing subject, and I was furious).
If I could go back I would maybe have ditched the Italian (I did it from Prep to year 12, minus year 9, which was the year of the class trip to Italy. I was the best in year 12 and the worst in first year uni), and done some more Linguistics or something. Maybe a Science subject of some description.
For my Grad Dip in Editing and Publishing it was all a set course so I did what I was told.
Now I’m doing the MComm and things have gone all skew-whiff. I had this plan mapped out. Year One, Semester One was fine (although Story, Genre, Medium was more screenplay-based than I thought). Year One, Semester Two went half-wrong because I disliked Electronic Publishing, so I ditched it and used recognition of prior learning to not have to find a make-up subject at five weeks into semester.
Everything I planned for Years Two and Three is stuffed because, of the ~18 electives offered for the MComm when I started the course in 2014, there are only 4 being offered in 2015, and I’m only interested in one of them. So I’ve been emailing around, and now the outline for the next two years looks like this:
COMM1229 Media And The Law (if it’s not too similar to Law and Regulation)
Whatever’s compulsory by then, IDK
Normally I’d be panicking if something I had planned out this much was as uncertain as this now is. I’ve always liked it when things go according to plan (although I would also love a surprise party or holiday!). But in the last few years I’ve had some massive ups and downs in my work life and personal life. I now work in three different roles at my workplace and I’ve been in and out of hospital with depression. These things have, I think, made me more adaptable to change.
Also more determined to figure out how the fuck to get the mail merges I do for the finance department to display response dates Australian style, as per the spreadsheet they’re drawing from, instead of American style, which I have to manually change each time, but that’s another story.