Morning and early afternoon: Did supplies shopping (Pepsi-Max cans, these yum WW Coconut Bars, long-life milk); had Subway for lunch; put up venue maps and programs; last-minute committee meeting (played with Legos); packed conbags as long as my back held out.
When my back stopped working around about 3PM I went and flopped on the floor in the Dealers’ Den. Justin from Slow Glass Books had already obtained permission from Seanan to sell copies of her new novella, Down Among the Sticks and Bones, beginning from when the Dealers’ Den officially opened at 4PM on the Friday. Usually breaking street date is a no-no, but considering we were launching the book at the convention it was an exception.
- Times I used the lift from ground to first floor instead of the stairs: 6.
- Times I cried: 1 sad, 1 happy/sad, 1 happy
- Nights I pulled the spare blanket over my head because it was so bloody cold: 1
- Nights I kicked all the covers off because it was so bloody hot: 1
- Times I looked at the time and thought ‘I should really be in bed’: definitely lost count
- Times I was woken up by construction across the road at 7AM: 4
- Times I wasn’t woken up by construction across the road at 7AM when I really could’ve been up at 7AM: 1
- Naps I had: 0
- Times I had Boost Juice instead of Up & Go for breakfast: 1
- Times I had Up & Go for breakfast but then caved at 11AM and got a McMuffin: 1
- Restaurants that made me homicidal: 1
- Hot chips that made me feel like they’d bitten my tongue: 1
- Times I babbled at Hespa and transposed words in my sentences: at least 5
- Amazing people I met: all of them
- People’s names I totally flaked on despite having known them for years: 1
- Panels I had cancelled: 1
- Number of people who asked me for info on the cancelled panel: 5
- Number of seagulls that Seanan summoned with her bucket of hot chips at the zoo: 45-50.
My Continuum 13 started earlier than some people’s (although, to be fair, for committee the next year’s Continuum starts sometime during the previous Continuum, if not earlier) as I got a message from Tole on Thursday morning.
‘DAYNA’S CAR HAS BROKEN DOWN.’
Dayna was supposed to be picking up our international Guest of Honour, Seanan McGuire, from the airport; she was flying back into Melbourne after attending LexiCon in New Zealand. So the car being broken down was less than ideal.
Well, yes, for most people Continuum 13 begins on Friday the 9th of June.
But I am not most people! I am Super Secretary!
(How much sleep have I had? Answer: not a lot.)
Checking into the hotel a day early to give myself time to settle in and not be doing what I did last year when I checked in on the day of the con and was instantly thrown into the hurly-burly. Although having said that I’m helping pick up one of our Guests of Honour at the airport (bag-carrying!Lauren).
I’ve been so busy putting the conbook together, making badges and signs and I don’t even know what else, I’ve probably forgotten most of it. Oh! Gravestones! Every good Maskobalo needs gravestones. I’ve discovered it’s harder than you’d think to get blood to stay on lace, and planned most of my wardrobe down to the last sock.
And there’s still so much to do! I’ve got to re-dye my hair, laminate the signs, actually pack my suitcase, triple-check my food budget, and schedule a time where I can go lie face down on my bed at the hotel with MTV playing and just pretend I don’t exist for a little while. Each day is end to end planned out, but there’s always time for a mini-breakdown, right?